Thursday, May 19, 2011

Swallow Study

The last few days have been really hard on Dylan.  He's been put through so many tests.  Two of which were an Upper GI which came back with everything ok, and a Swallow Study.  The Swallow Study shows that he is not aspirating into his lungs when he drinks, so that is a good thing.  His suck and his swallow, however, are really weak. He's going to need a lot of work when it comes to feeding.  The test showed that he was not aspirating when he drinks, but they are still worried about him aspirating because of his bad reflux, they said that aspiration is still a concern when it comes to that, so that is something we need to watch for. 

I am really nervous about him having a G-tube and everything that is involved with it. We really haven't been told anything or shown anything yet because we have not yet met with the surgeon, but I looked it up a little last night and watched a few videos and I'm really overwhelmed.  I know that they will teach us, and that its probably not as complicated as it looks.  And I know that it's what needs to be done to get him home.  He needs to come home.  He's already been in the hospital for his whole 10 weeks of life, and these feeding issues are the only thing that's keeping him there right now.  He's already a little behind developmentally from being in the hospital his whole life, so we need to get him caught up and be able to work with him without all of the wires and tubes and IV's connected to him.   I think once we get him home, he'll do a lot better...... He'll be able to spend all his time with mommy and daddy, and be able to take real baths, and do real baby things.... that will make him feel so much better <3

I'll post more after we talk to the surgeon and find out more about the G-tube and everything that comes with it.  As of right now, his surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at 3pm, and that is all we know.

Thank you for your continued support of my family.  We really appreciate all of the love and thoughts.

Heart Hugs to all!
<3

3 comments:

  1. Will be thinking of you guys. Dylan is the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 thinking of you Krystal and Joe. A G-tube will give Dylan the time he needs to learn to eat WHILE still getting the nutrition he needs. Everything seems overwhelming now but you will get used to it all. I am just so excited that he will be coming home soon!!! Yay little man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure someone has already suggested it, but you might want to talk to his doctor(s?) about Early Intervention Services to help with any developmental delays.

    ReplyDelete