Monday, August 1, 2011

Cardiology update

Today was Dylan's post-cath cardiology appointment.  We had to be there bright and early at 7am.  Dylan was not a happy camper this morning when I had to wake him up to get him ready.  He usually sleeps until 6:30, is up for about an hour and then hes back to sleep......... so he cried and whined when I had to wake him up at 5:30.
I wasn't expecting much from this appointment besides our usual X-ray, and the whole "hows he doin? He looks good"... " Ok, see you in two weeks" .....  Well our appointment was a little more eventful today.  His cardiologist thinks its time to put him on the schedule for his next surgery :-(   I'm ready to have it over... but I'm not ready for him to go back.  I'll never be ready.  From all of the post's I've read from other families, I was planning on him only being in the Hospital for about a week, so when his Cardiologist mentioned emailing Dylan's surgeon to get him on the list,  I said  " But this is a faster and easier recovery than his last one right? " .......... she looked at me like I was crazy.... and then told me to plan on being in the hospital for 2-4 weeks. :-(     She told me that a lot of babies have drainage issues, and they have to end up going back to the Cath lab to fix a few things..... she said that if Dylan surprises her and doesn't go through all of that then thats a good thing... but shes preparing me for the worst.... so plan on 2-4 weeks.  I REALLY don't wanna be back there for that long .... not being able to hold my baby boy and seeing him with all those tubes and wires again.... it breaks my heart :-(

They also sent Dylan home with a 24 hour Holter ECG..... witch is basically a continuous electrocardiogram.  She say's that its something they do before his next surgery.   She also ordered another sedated Echo either this week or next.

This week is a busy week for appointments.  We had Cardiology this morning... tomorrow is his new pediatrician, Wednesday is a Swallow Study..... Thursday he has OT....... and Friday is clear for right now.

I'll update more after his Swallow Study and let you know how he does :-)

and for those of you who don't know what the "Glenn" is.... here is a description of Dylan's next Heart Surgery.

  • Stage two operation. Doctors perform the second operation, the bidirectional Glenn procedure or hemi-Fontan, when your child is four to six months old. In this procedure, they connect some of the veins carrying blood from the body to blood vessels carrying blood to the lungs.

    This surgery allows most of the blood to flow directly from the body into the lungs. Blood with more oxygen is pumped to the aorta to supply oxygen to the body's organs and tissues. This approach reduces the work of the lower-right heart chamber (right ventricle) by allowing it to pump blood only to the body.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Dylan is an amazing, precious and special little boy. He is a courageous, strong and determined fighter. he is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete